Kids are looking forward to their gifts. Family members are coming. Guests are paying a visit. Undoubtedly, this is your household’s busiest time of the year. Well, not to mention the preparations you make every morning and the tasks waiting for you at home from work. Before you get involved with all the chaos surrounding the holidays, make sure to add plumbing preparations to your to-do list.
We have prepared a list of items that are worth checking out to ensure that everything goes smoothly according to your plans and nothing will spoil the celebration.
- Is your water heater functioning? Does the pressure relief valve operate properly? If you have not flushed your water heater tank for a year, try it now to remove sediments and deposits.
- To save on time and energy, simultaneously replace the anode rods (as this requires draining of water), or what is sometimes referred to as sacrificial anodes, because they help keep water heaters survive for a longer time.
- Dispose of grease and other debris properly. While this will require additional time and energy, consider the costs you will have to incur if your drain gets clogged.
- Consider putting a mesh strainer over your shower drain and kitchen and bathroom traps to stop unwanted materials from blocking water passage.
- Double check your toilet’s handles, flappers and flush valves. The bathroom will be one of the most visited areas. Take care to ensure that guests will not come running out because of clogged toilets or foul smells. Regularly keep an empty wastebasket inside the bathroom to discourage guests and children from flushing unwanted items through your plumbing system.
- Insulate exposed pipes. If your family is planning to leave home for some time, turn on your outdoor faucets and drain the pipes. This is to prevent trapped water from freezing.
If you would rather seek the assistance of a professional, schedule a maintenance check with a plumbing expert to ensure that every possible plumbing issue is accounted for. Now it’s time to prepare your holiday wish list.