Prevent a Burst Pipe in Your Home
With the approach of winter, many homeowners consider how they can prevent their pipes from bursting. While such attention is important, Mobile homeowners should recognize that a burst pipe can happen in any season.
Dealing with the aftermath of a burst pipe is expensive and messy. Taking a few precautions now is worth the savings in time, money and headaches later.
Reasons for Burst Pipes
Severe cold temperatures contribute to pipes bursting in winter time. As water freezes, it puts pressure on the pipes. As the pressure builds, eventually the pipes weaken and burst.
However, general wear and tear on the pipes, age, damage or misuse can also lead to deterioration of the pipes, which can then eventually burst.
What Can a Homeowner Do?
Precautions Inside the Home to Prevent a Burst Pipe
- Insulate – Insulating pipes won’t guarantee that pipes won’t burst, but it will reduce the risk.
- Keep Your Thermostat Set at a Constant Temperature – By keeping the temperature constant day and night, pipes are subject to less change in temperature. The additional cost to the heating bill is worth preventing a burst pipe.
- Seal Leaks – Check around electrical wiring, dry vents and where pipes come into the house to seal places cold drafts can enter.
- Open Cupboard Doors – Open bathroom and kitchen cupboards to let warm air enter.
- Allow a Slow Drip – Run a water faucet. Just a trickle is fine. Open the farthest tap from where the water enters the home to allow the water to move through the pipes in the house.
Precautions Outside the Home to Prevent a Burst Pipe
- Cover Outside Spigots – A dome cover or insulation over outdoor faucets will reduce the risk of pipes freezing.
- Store Hoses – Disconnect hoses. Drain the water from them and put them away.
- Drain swimming pools – Swimming pool supply lines and sprinkler lines are likely to freeze in winter. Draining them is recommended.
A final bit of advice: Know where your stopcock is located. Check it regularly and if you suspect a leak, turn it off.
Any time you are unsure about the condition of your pipes or are worried in any way, call a professionally licensed plumber to visit your Mobile home. Don’t delay.
Avoid a costly pipe burst with these key tips! Call Drain Busters Plumbing & Rooter at (251) 665-9898 for repairs in your Mobile, AL home.